“It’s just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I flic people up.” – Seb Carlo

Palatable Portrait taken outside the Oratory Prep cafeteria.
Palatable Portrait taken in op cafeteria outside of class

1. I chose each of the foods selected because I had seen what I wanted to do before I actually did it. For the donut I could see that it would be a really cool photo and knew that I had the idea of making it kind of like glasses. For the cheese steak I liked the way it popped out and knew it would be a good photo.

2. For the lighting in each of my pictures, the sun is what is reflected upon each of subjects. For the donut, I took this during class in the morning, which gave it this very vibrant lighting. For the cheesesteak, this photo was taken near a window on a sunny day but there is also a ceiling light reflected on it. I like how the sun makes everything brighter but the way it reflects on my main subjects makes them pop out.

3. Within both of my pictures, I used composition techniques in order to help the viewer truly appreciate what it is I’m trying to relay. For the donut photo, I used ruled of thirds in order to draw the center point of attention to the food featured in my picture. For the cheesesteak photo I used negative space by removing the background in order to draw more attention to the food.

4. With the color splash technique, I was able to make my food truly pop in each photo which really gets my point across. I really like how with the donut, it makes it look kind of like an eye piece which just makes the photo that much better. The cheese steak looks cool with the fully blacked out background and in front of the black and white subject which makes the photo really appealing and almost appetizing for the viewer.

5. When it came to enhancing my images, I used a wider lens in order to not only capture Henry but also give it a good backdrop that adds detail to the photo. On top of this, for the cheesesteak, I used a filter on phone where as you take the photo it removes the background and makes it black which made my subject pop. Finally, in photoshop, I made both the people in my photos black and white and left the food in color so it would stand out.

6. Some advice I would give future photographers in this class would be to actually plan your subjects out. I would make sure to know what the project is like and to take my time. I would also work with someone you feel comfortable with as it makes it more fun and you are able to create more creative photos.